Sunday, September 13, 2009

Pathran Da Shehar – Chandigarh

Most of my Chandigarh friends would disagree with what I am going to write. And at the same time, my friends from Punjab would have few more experiences to add to mine.

Chandigarh ik patthran da shehar e. (Chandigarh is a city of stones.)

The garden of rocks

My room mate at Ludhiana was flabbergasted when I told her this after my brief stint with the City Beautiful. Trying to relax her creased temple I told how surprising it was to see a garden of rocks (the famous rock garden).

And then I went her telling how no one on a four-wheeler would guide you how to reach particular sector. Instead people threw that filthy look as if you were some alien and were asking way to the wonderland.

Having learnt this bitter lesson, I started turning towards cyclists or rickshaw wallas to ask my way from sector 17 to the Punjab secretariat or other places of news gathering. They not only proved much better guides but understood how confusing the round abouts of City Beautiful could be for a new comer.
Every sector seemed same to me and every round about a twin of the last one.

The nightmare was not to end here. I found not even a single decent living place, which could match my paltry salary the newspaper paid me. Areas around Mohali industrial area (under developed in 2004) wore deserted looks just after 7 pm.

Only construction workers and vehicles from Dell office (then under construction) frequented the roads near my office. For first five days I managed to put up with a colleague, who did so most unwillingly.

On weekend, I left for home at Bathinda leaving my bags at my so-called friend’s place. Returning a day later, to my horror, I found her house locked. When I called her up she said, “I’ve come to my place in Amritsar. I am sorry sweetie I forgot to inform you and even your luggage is at my place. Don’t worry you can collect it after two days.” And she slammed the phone.

I was left in mid of no where in a completely strange city. That was the first and last time in my life when I didn’t know where was I going to sleep? I called up a girl, who was in accounts section the newspaper, and narrated her my woes.

She consoled me and told to come up at her place in Mohali where I could put up for a night. It took me more than hour to reach a place, which was just 15 minutes away from my office.

I thanked God and prayed Him to make an arrangement for next night. Next day I got up and my host told me that they were going to have some relatives in the evening, which meant I would have to remove my bags by 11 am.

It was them I remembered that one of my colleagues from Bathinda was staying in Mohali with his wife and son. I called him up and asked if I could stay at his place for one day and he replied, “Why one day? Come and stay with us. Its your home. Tell me where are you presently? I’ll come and pick you as well as your luggage.”

And I stayed with his family for 15 days. We lived like a family. The rock city made me resign from my job and go back to Ludhiana.

That’s why I call it Pathran da shehar.

10 comments:

Inder preet singh said...

this is a good peice but i couldn't say on this any more, you know why? but u r right this is Pathran da shehar because this city has no culture. every body busy in it self. In city there is no space for poor and lower midddle class, Every body say that la carbusier is very good architect but see from my eyes he has no vision for rikshawpullers, mochi and all whoes salery is not as high so that they can buy or take on rent a house for their children.

Megha Mann said...

Pearl V Jasra writes ...

Ironic indeed Megha.
Even me and my poor children...
is the shaher or the pathar hote logon ke dil ?
take care.
pearl.

Megha Mann said...

Anupam writes...

Hi megha I agree with this name for this concrete city . Ihave many incidents to tell u. Let me tell u the first lone, It was in 1988 when Ipassed B.SC medical with 66% marks.

I came to Candigarh with my bother to get admission in M.SC. Anthropology at PU campus. we stayed at our family frirds'home in sector 21-D. They had three daughters and one son. I dont know what came to their mind that they discouraged me from getting admission in this subject and kept saying,"It has no future and moreover where will u stay. It is chandigarh."

I told them my parents can afford hostel easily. but they said,"It is futile effort to study Anthropogy" and commented very harsh words about Ludhiana. I got confused and returned back without appearing in interview.

Ten years later I interviewed a famous athropologist and u know what he commented,"I wish anupam, you could have been the student of Anthropology, u could have done wonders as u have the right attidude for this study."

Immediately, recalled the whole incident and realized, 'It is indeed a city of concretes and people with only and only subjective approach lives here."
take care.

♥ Manav Ghuman ♥ said...

Dear I knw what all u hav gone through while in this city.....Dn't knw why but i never liked this city. While girls in my group were always crazy to visit this tri-city, I was the only one not interested in visiting here...
Ludhiana Rocks while Chandigarh is the city of Rocks...

Balwant Garg said...

Once upon a time it was only CHANDIGARH but now all towns are, more or less, turning to the line of "City of Stones" where the residents have hearts as hard as stones which melt no way with floods of emotions and blood of helplessness of others. Life is turning "self-centered" on the pattern of Chandigarh now. My loss, my profit, my love, my children, my..my..my..; so much we are turning self-centered and individualist, our soul or heart beat only for our sorrows and happiness, not for the others---as it used to be some time back. Development and prosperity is GOOD but sharing others pains and understanding their agonies is the least a human being is expected to do.

Manu Moudgil said...

Hey Megha,
Must confess I like your posts a lot.This time, however,I would beg to differ (as you had anyways expected in your post).
Chandigarh is a city without a long and dependable history or its own exclusive culture. Unfortunately, its residents are also not its own. They mostly hail from towns and villages of Punjab, Haryana or Himachal. Everybody has a native place which they call their home. So while they don't call Chandigarh their home, the city still takes all the blame for their actions (for instance, your so-called friend was from Amritsar not Chandigarh).
There is a very small percentage of people who are born and brought up here.
The indifferent attitude of some residents is quite prevalent in all big cities of India. That's the price we pay for development and progress.
Let me quote you something from my experience in Delhi. First time when I stayed in the capital, it was similar to what you came across in Chandigarh. Thrown out by landlords at the dead of night, ignored by bus conductors, road rage all across, I had sweared never to return.
But now Delhi seems so much my own. I have met so many good people here. I would just say there are good people and there are bad and your impression of a place just depends upon whom you meet.
Last time when I was in Chandigarh, my neighbour made me listen to his rants about Delhi- "Sanu taan teri Dilli koi pasand nahin ayi. Koi rasta das ke raji nee uthe, Chandigarh ch kise nu rasta pucho oh ghar tak chad ke aaunda"- this statement is quite contrary to what you experienced in the city.
Chandigarh is not every much affordable but there are still thousands of migrants coming in everyday and earning well. As with architecture, I agree that planning has taken away the Indian character from it (I love the changing landscape of Delhi and confusion on roads). But then if somebody is on to build a new city on a vacant land, planning is what they would first. Think it the other way, planning has made driving a breeze in the city. And Rock Garden is just an attempt to infuse life in the rocks- which all of us can try in our little ways.
Cheers!

A S Rai said...

Dear Megha,
Not born in Chandigarh,but being fortunate to have done my college and University in this City,I absolutely love this City.
I agree that this City makes a break from so called Indian tradition of hospitality,but one must remember that City was conceived to break away from past,and make a new beginning.
There can be debate about whether such break from past is advisable,or even possible,but should one blame the City for trying to achieve what it was conceived for.Unfortunately,we failed to make attendant institutions,in which this modern city could have thrived.Maybe,we should keep working so that our hope of ushering in a brave new India,as this City was conceived to represent is not lost.Keep up the good work.With best wishes. A S Rai

Unknown said...

you are such a good writer with a fine sensibility. why have you stopped writing? or something wrong with my wearching your blog? I have resumed writing my blog sunnymindcaves.blogspot.com where you appeared once. carr on with your good work.

Unknown said...

you are such a good writer with a fine sensibility. why have you stopped writing? or something wrong with my wearching your blog? I have resumed writing my blog sunnymindcaves.blogspot.com where you appeared once. carr on with your good work.
the same comment posted
from my bhabi's address

harcharan bains said...

you are such a good writer with a fine sensibility. why have you stopped writing? or something wrong with my wearching your blog? I have resumed writing my blog sunnymindcaves.blogspot.com where you appeared once. carry on with your good work.
the same comment posted through my bhabis address too.